Today I wanted to share a little gem called Texas Caviar. There are a lot of variations of this recipe but I’m pretty sure this one takes the cake. It is my absolute favorite snack to have. I literally sometimes just eat it by the spoonful but it is best with Tostidos Multigrain chips. It is perfect for summer because it is served chilled and is a light and packed with yummy (mostly) healthy ingredients.
I found this recipe originally on Pinterest but have basically made my own variation which I think is sooo good!
- 1 can black-eyed peas
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can white Shoepeg corn
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon water
- ½ cup sugar (or for a healthier option, use splenda)
What to do:
- Drain and rinse the black eyed peas, black beans, and corn and combine in a large bowl. Add chopped peppers and onion.
- Combine the apple cider vinegar, veggie oil, water, and sugar in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Allow this to simmer for a couple minutes and then remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
- Pour the apple cidar mixture over the large bowl of peas, beans,etc and let sit in refrigerator for 24 hours. (Yes i know this is a long time but if you resist the urge to eat it right away, you will not be sorry.)
- Drain the liquid from the mixture and stuff your face with this amazing salsa.
(Original Recipe found Here)
Now feast your eyes on this…..pure goodness
Disclamer: you may become addicted.
Also this recipe makes a LARGE amount of salsa but it keeps well for about a week in the fridge.